[Qgis-user] QGIS to load spefific OpenStreetMap data

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue May 14 16:02:07 PDT 2019

Stefan,
Let me make one suggestion to Jorge's overpass query. By using the
Overpass-Turbo Wizard search for shop=bakery or shop=supermarket in Zurich.
By adding in Zurich, the query will leave out objects in adjacent cities.

>From the overpass turbo webpage, export the data as a geojson to load into
QGIS. Should work like a charm.

Best
Clifford

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 3:43 PM Jorge Gustavo Rocha <jgr at geomaster.pt>
wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Às 22:28 de 14/05/19, Stefan Keller escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm preparing a talk about QGIS and OpenStreetMap for the annual
> > meeting of the local QGIS chapter.
> >
> > => Question: How do you (users) load specific OSM data into QGIS, like
> > for example all bakeries of Zurich? (ways/polygons as centroids?)
> >

> I prefer to go to the overpass end point, to show how easy is to extract
> OpenStreetMap data. It is faster than installing a plugin.
>
> For a talk, use the overpass Wizard to build the query.
>
> 1) Go to http://overpass-turbo.eu/
> 2) Search for Zurich
> 3) Open the Wizard
> 4) Just type: bakery
> 5) Build and run query
> 6) Export as GeoJson
> 7) Add layer to QGIS (eventually points and polygons; calculate the
> centroids for the polygons in QGIS)
>
> Good luck for your presentation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Gustavo
>
> > Background: QGIS 2 had a built in downloader which is gone in QGIS 3.
> > This instruction is 4y old [1], and this wiki page seems to be
> > outdated too [2].
> >
> > I know, that QGIS can read OpenStreetMap XML (.osm) and .PBF files as
> > vector layer. And I know about these two plugins: OSMDownloader [3]
> > and QuickOSM [4].
> >
> > * OSMDownloader requests a bbox from the user, then downloads the
> > whole area through the OSM API using the OGR OSM driver.
> > * QuickOSM generates queries in outdated Overpass XML, but accepts
> > also the newer Overpass QL language, like for example the following:
> >
> > [out:xml];
> > area[name="Uster"];
> > (
> >   nwr[shop~"supermarket|bakery"](area);
> > );
> > out body;
> >> ;
> > out skel qt;
> >
> > :Stefan
> >
> > [1] https://learnosm.org/en/osm-data/osm-in-qgis/
> > [2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QGIS
> > [3] https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/OSMDownloader/
> > [4] https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/QuickOSM/
> >

> --
> Logo*   Geomaster, LDA*
>   *VENHA DESCOBRIR O CAMINHO DO OPEN SOURCE CONNOSC**O
>
> *
>
> Avenida Barros e Soares
> N.º 423, 4715-214 Braga
> VAT/NIF510 906 109