[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.16 Installation on Linux Mint

Mike Flannigan mflan at mflan.com
Wed Dec 2 14:14:33 PST 2020

Thanks so much.
'/etc/upstream-release/lsb-release' contains:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04 LTS"

So that sure does answer #2 - at least the Ubuntu part of it.
System Info lists OS: "Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon".  Sure wish
they had "tricia" listed there too.

Oops.  /etc/os-release does list Tricia (and tricia):

NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="19.3 (Tricia)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 19.3"
VERSION_ID="19.3"
HOME_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
VERSION_CODENAME=tricia
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

Thanks so much for your help.

I guess this is the best I found on the internet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_version_history
Except you would use "Bionic Beaver" if you referenced that.

The Linux Mint history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint_version_history
is also not exactly right.
We Linux people know that Tricia ne tricia.
Lots of holes to fall into when doing this stuff.

Mike