[Qgis-user] Searching attributes and highlight on map

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:22:12 PST 2020

Hi,

You will find go documentation here https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/

go to Working with Vector Data (the .gdb file is vector data)
https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/index.html

You will want to make a query using the Query builder.

https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_properties.html#query-builder

If you use the query builder, you can select the items that you want and
then save the selection to a new file. (write click on the layer and
export selected feature).  You can also filter a file directly by using
the same query but using the right click on the file in the layer panel
and select "filter".

You will probably need to save your data in a geopackage (.gpkg) or
shape (.shp) format as qgis can read but cannot write to .gdb files.
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/openfilegdb.html

"Drawbacks of the OpenFileGDB driver:

  *

    Read-only.

  *

    Cannot read data from compressed data in CDF format (Compressed Data
    Format)."

Nicolas

On 2020-12-17 4:09 p.m., jonr at destar.net wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am a new user and new to the list. I am using QGIS version
> 3.12.2-București and have imported two .gdb files in QGIS and am
> trying to figure out how to query the data and have it show me on the
> map where it is located. I have been reading through the documentation
> but not quite sure how to phrase my question to get the answer I am
> looking for.
>
> So far I can see my layers on the left hand side and I have been
> trying to use the Expression String Builder to create a query but I
> cannot figure out how to build a query that I can actually just plug
> in one of the attributes and have it show on the map where it is
> located. The data is of a county in Texas and I am trying to find
> parcel IDs by either Prop_ID, GEO_ID, LEGAL_DESC, or OWNER_NAME. I am
> not getting it...unfortunately.
>
> If someone can tell me, what I should be searching on to find my
> answer in SE, Google or the documentation, I will gladly go and read
> up on how to do it, but just not sure how to phrase the questions to
> get the answers.
>
> Thanks for any help or guidance,
>
> Jon

Nicolas Cadieux