[Qgis-user] HELP highlights points

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Thu Dec 24 06:31:43 PST 2020

I was very interested to see if this was possible with qgis expressions and
symbology, and I got it to work with surprisingly little effort, albeit
with some issues [1].

I simply used the rule based symbology to highlight the relevant features
using an expression [2].

The expression I used was as follows:

if(
  distance($geometry,
    geometry(
      get_feature('Lines','fid','1')
    )
  ) < 500
,true,false)

One caveat is that the view does not automatically update when digitizing a
new vertice. As a result I needed to zoom in and out constantly to update
the symbol styles. This could probably be modified by using a layer action
though.

Secondly, this expression is limited to a single feature in it's
current state. I'm not sure if anyone has a clever workaround for including
all geometries from another layer in an expression.

Lastly, this only tracks actual features, not the cursor.

There could be many other ways to achieve your result though, but I was
interested to see how well this would function so others might find the
result quite interesting. It's probably also quite usable for static styles
if the objective is just for mapmaking rather than a digitizing tool.

[1] https://imgur.com/a/5J0dSt3
[2] https://imgur.com/a/E043vO7