[Qgis-user] Open Layers Plugin

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Jan 2 00:43:19 PST 2020

On 02/01/2020 00.59, Mike Flannigan wrote:

> I am on QGIS 3.10.1 on Linux.  I just noticed that
> the Open Layers plugin does not install correctly
> anymore.  I installed Tile+ instead and it serves my
> needs, but I wanted to know if anybody had anything
> to say about the Open Layers plugin or the X, Y, Z
> method of installing basemaps.

Hi Mike,

I created an issue in it's own issue tracker:

https://github.com/sourcepole/qgis-openlayers-plugin/issues/67

In short: the commercial, non 'free' services like Bing and Google are
throwing issues:

2020-01-02T09:16:19     INFO    Plugin installed successfully
2020-01-02T09:16:34     WARNING    Python error : An error has occurred
while executing Python code: See message log (Python Error) for more
details.
2020-01-02T09:16:34     WARNING    OpenLayers Plugin : Printing and
rotating of Javascript API based layers is currently not supported!

This page can't load Google Maps correctly.

2020-01-02T09:20:37     WARNING    Python error : An error has occurred
while executing Python code: See message log (Python Error) for more
details.
2020-01-02T09:20:37     WARNING    OpenLayers Plugin : Printing and
rotating of Javascript API based layers is currently not supported!
2020-01-02T09:20:37     CRITICAL    Qt :
QNetworkReplyImplPrivate::error: Internal problem, this method must only
be called once.

The use of these services is most of the times license-wise-seen a
little dodgy anyway. Better use OpenStreetMap or other reference data.
If you really like/need Google or Bing (which you according to their
licences probably are not allowed to use their tiles out of their own
api's...) you can use the alternatives Alexander notes.
In QuickMapservcies, load the non-free services via menu
Web/QuickmapServices/Settings tab 'More Services'.

Some url's to use for xyz layers, if you want dodgy:

ArcGis:
http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}.png

Google Map:   https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}

Google Satellite:   https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=s&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}