[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell, phone

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Tue Jun 2 12:15:26 PDT 2020

Hi Garth,

Good point.  I expect this has more to do with the satellite constellation at the time of the measurement than anything else.  Some reading I have been doing suggest Glonass as being slightly less accurate.  This could be caused by atomic clock precision, or less accurate broadcasting of ephemeris. This could be checked in post processing with a proper GPS.   As I see it, Glonass is Most important when you don’t have enough GPS satellites in view like when working up north or in some settings when satellite are hidden from view (mountain, buildings...).  I don’t think a gps like the eTrex will improve Much if you go from 8 to 16 satellites If the first 8 are well positioned in the sky.

Planning ahead of time to know where and when to measure is always the best practice as I see it.

Nicolas Cadieux
Ça va bien aller!