[Qgis-user] open street map data in QGIS 3.12

Andre Ulrich andre.ulrich63920 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:44:49 PDT 2020

Dear community,

I have to create a shape file containing all supermarkets in cologne.
Therefore I want to use data from open street maps. I have already
installed the (experimental) plugin "QuickOSM" for enabling queries on osm
data directly in QGIS.
For the query I have to pass a key and a value. According to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building
there should be a value "supermarket" belonging to the key "building".
In the QuickOSM-window I can choose the key "building" - fine. But when it
comes to the value, I can't choose "supermarket" - it's not even listed
(and I can't type it too). There are other values like "commercial",
"industrial" or "retail", which might also fit. But a query using these
values yields way too many results. I really only want to have supermarkets
like rewe or penny or lidl or aldi or something like those.

I also have downloaded a shape containing all buildings in
"Regierungsbezirk Köln" from
http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/germany/nordrhein-westfalen.html
as shp.zip.
There are 2.5M objects in this shape. I have tried to filter them, using
the attribute tabel -> select by expression. Everytime I try to filter
these data my computer ends up crashing.
I only see this loading symbol where my cursor is supposed to be. When I
stop the programme manually I only get to see this error message (also in
picture attached).

Does anyone have a clue, where to get good data for my purposes
(supermarkets in cologne)?
Or should I simply wait longer for QGIS to filter these 2.5M objects
(although I have waited for 30 minutes or so)?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!
many greetings!
André

QGIS 3.12.3-Bucuresti