[Qgis-user] open street map data in QGIS 3.12

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Jun 30 04:19:17 PDT 2020

Am 29.06.20 um 20:44 schrieb Andre Ulrich:
> Dear community,
>
> I have to create a shape file containing all supermarkets in cologne.
> Therefore I want to use data from open street maps. I have already
> installed the (experimental) plugin "QuickOSM" for enabling queries on osm
> data directly in QGIS.
> For the query I have to pass a key and a value. According to
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building
> there should be a value "supermarket" belonging to the key "building".
> In the QuickOSM-window I can choose the key "building" - fine. But when it
> comes to the value, I can't choose "supermarket" - it's not even listed
> (and I can't type it too). There are other values like "commercial",
> "industrial" or "retail", which might also fit. But a query using these
> values yields way too many results. I really only want to have supermarkets
> like rewe or penny or lidl or aldi or something like those.

The first entry in the dropdown list for key as well as for value is
empty. There you can enter any text you want.

For building=supermarket, you will get only 3 areas and 1 point.
a better choice is shop=supermarker, delivering 159 areas and 235 points.

> I also have downloaded a shape containing all buildings in
> "Regierungsbezirk Köln" from
> http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/germany/nordrhein-westfalen.html
> as shp.zip.
> There are 2.5M objects in this shape. I have tried to filter them, using
> the attribute tabel -> select by expression. Everytime I try to filter
> these data my computer ends up crashing.

These datasets are really huge. You should not try to load them in QGIS
directly. ogr2ogr on the command line would be a solution that could
handle it. Keep in mind that QGIS needs quite some memory for the GUI
itself.

A better way is to download the osm.pbf raw data file, and filter it
with a command line tool like osmosis or osmfilter.

HTH,
Andre Joost