[Qgis-user] GEO PDF and Avenza maps or similar

qgis-user at stripfamily.net qgis-user at stripfamily.net
Tue Mar 10 21:14:29 PDT 2020

A couple of more comments on using Avenza maps:
1. Unless the rules have changed since I last looked, you can have only
three non-Avenza downloaded maps in your Avenza app. Better than
nothing, but very limiting.
2. You can download KML layers to use with existing Avenza maps in the
app. I use this to create overlays for USGS quads which I download from
the Avenza store. This can be very useful when you've used your quota of
three downloaded maps.
3. Avenza seems to be pretty strict about what is allowed in the Map
Store. The newer USGS 7.5' pdf quads have an aerial image layer that is
flattened into the map on Avenza, covering up all sorts of useful info
I'm used to seeing in topos. I started converting the new USGS pdf quads
to TIFFs removing the image layer in the conversion (using gdal). Avenza
would not allow these in the store, first arguing they were derivative
of the USGS product (which is NOT copyrighted because the US gov't is
not allowed to copyright "stuff".) When I pointed this out, Avenza said
the USGS was going to produce maps for the store that had no image
layer. That was well over a year ago and it hasn't happened yet, at
least not in the region I'm interested in.  The point is that you
shouldn't open an account to submit maps to the Map Store thinking this
will get around the 3 map limit. Unless those maps are of general
interest, Avenza will reject them and you will have wasted your time
figuring out the Map Store system.
4. To download your own map to the Avenza app on iOS or Android, the map
has to be on a publicly available server. To load the map you must enter
the URL. The app will accept a QR code for the URL, which I find to be
much more reliable than typing in the URL unless you are lucky enough to
have a very easy to type domain name and can place the map at or near
the top directory. (Or maybe you're just better than me at typing on
your phone.)