[Qgis-user] SSH tunnel to remote PostGIS Backend

Gerald Kogler geraldo at servus.at
Thu Mar 26 09:33:12 PDT 2020

Hi,
For security reasons I run my postgres servers with local access only
and then use an SSH tunnel. (Turning off passwords and relying on
key-based authentication hardens security even more.)

I tunnel the remote postgres port 5432 locally to port 9999 using a ssh
config with something like:

ssh -L 9999:localhost:5432 ssh_config_postgis

This works fine for Qgis creating a PostGIS connection with host
localhost and port 9999.

Is there an Qgis inline or plugin solution - like it exists in pgadmin4
where I can specify a SSH Tunnel?

Thanks,
Gerald