[Qgis-user] manual vs auto labeling

Madry, Scott madrys at email.unc.edu
Sat Mar 28 07:21:13 PDT 2020

Hello, all, and thank you for all you do for the QGIS community.

I am posting a question from a colleague in Sweden. Sorry, don’t have more details than this. Perhaps someone has an answer?

Thanks,

Scott Madry

In the old 3.x version of Esri ArcView there was an easy-to-use labeling tool. By activating it I could first set up which attribute table column to use for labels, and then just click on desired objects in the map, and a label would appear on them, and them only. In the later ArcMap this feature was removed, and I have not found anything similar in Qgis either.

When labeling features in a map every object gets a label via the layers properties, and I must remove all unwanted ones manually, which can be a huge job, not to mention tedious... It had been very easy to instead just mark the ones I want labeled, as in ArcView 3.x. Of course I am not sure if it's me who simply has not found that function in Qgis, but colleagues of mine have not found it either, so... is there such a function? ;-)

Thanks, Stefan N.