[Qgis-user] manual vs auto labeling

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sat Mar 28 09:53:35 PDT 2020

The information which labels should be show must be stored somewhere.
Since a while, QGIS has the ability to store such settings in virtual
column which can be created by

Layer properties -> Labels -> Rendering -> Label options -> Data defined
-> Show label -> check the box on "Store data in the project"

This will add a new column to the layer with the name
"auxiliary_storage_labeling_show". This column is not part of your
vector file, but will be stored within the project file.
When the layer is used outside of the project, this information is lost.

It is a boolean column, expecting 1 for show label and 0 for not show label.
Open the attribute table, make it editable, select the label column and
enter 0 and hit "Update all" button to hide all labels by default.

Now when selecting chosen features to for labels to be shown, switch to
the attribute table, select the label column, enter 1 and hit "Update
selected"

I don't know if this explanation is entirely complete, but it's a start ;)

Cheers,

Bernd

So when you now select features, open the attribute table, make it