[Qgis-user] LTR usage survey

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Mon Mar 30 16:01:06 PDT 2020

Thanks Anita for the survey. I think it really important that there is some
feedback on the LTR issue.

As I have posted before, the difficulty with constant change in software
lies with the use of software in institutions where everyone has to be using
the same release in order for everything to be compatible. By everything I
mean training, templates and styles and workflows so that the team is all
working together. I also note that training material needs to catch up with
rapid changes in the LTR. There is nothing more frustrating than finding a
workflow that solves your problem only to discover that the Video is for 2.8
and the workflow changed in 3.4 and you are using 3.10.

These are the reasons for supporting a longer Ltr life.

I think it also important that the QGIS page clearly explains the difference
between the different releases and the Ltr and the implications for
deployment in workplace or for a project team.

I should note that I think the continuing development of QGIS is wonderful
and very responsive to user interests but as QGIS become more embedded in
business and project teams there are practical implications for rapid change
of the basic software.

Regards

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants