[Qgis-user] Help Copyright advice ref maps produced for publications

Hamish Macdonald hamfran53 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:34:04 PDT 2020

Good morning,

I am an historian looking to bring to life a work for publication
illustrated by annotated physical and cultural maps inspired by examples
seen from QGIS training videos. As a stumbling beginner I have already
invested many hours trying to master the basics. However, before I invest
many more hours and finessing maps I need to know urgently if I will have
to pay copyright permission to use my maps in a publication. Am I being
naive in thinking maps created become my own property and copyright just
applies if I attempted to develop software using elements found through
QGIS? The latter is my impression scrolling through terms and conditions.
I.e maps produced are free and become my copyright in a publication?

Thank you in anticipation of your time.

Best wishes
Hamish Macdonald