[Qgis-user] Shared/common library for PyQGIS scripts

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at geomaster.pt
Tue Oct 20 01:48:51 PDT 2020

Hi,

I think the PyQGIS Cookbook is the perfect place to share these scripts.
The Cookbook is not the API reference documentation. It is the place to
share solutions for common problems using the QGIS API.

Regards,

Jorge

Às 08:34 de 20/10/20, Charles Dixon-Paver escreveu:
> Personally I feel like this outlines a greater problem of snippet
> sharing in many developer communities and is not a problem that is
> well suited to the resource sharing plugin, or even a single
> traditional GitHub repo.
>
> My personal approach was to set up a subdirectory on GitHub with code
> snippets and add a pyqgis subdirectory (although I don't have a useful
> collection of things yet). I don't really like gists for something I
> want to maintain or have discoverable, so I use this dedicated repo
> instead. I would suggest if you plan on creating a number of different
> snippets that you create a similar one, or if you want to collaborate
> or make an occasional contribution then suggest an alternative.
>
> From my experience with the community it seems like a lot of the most
> useful snippets are scattered throughout conversations on the mailing
> lists, or within stack overflow. When working with the Esri platform
> and Web App Builder, there were a couple of repositories with custom
> widgets etc but the GeoNet forum was also probably the biggest
> resource for types of things like code snippets, although it had
> similar limitations to what I've experienced with pyqgis, perhaps with
> slightly better discoverability since I only really looked in one
> place and if I couldn't find something I didn't waste extra time
> searching across various platforms.
>
> Personally, I dislike stack overflow for a number of reasons. For one,
> I've found it's platform gamification has always led to a weird
> passive aggressive attitude from community members. The GIS site seems
> a lot more welcoming, but as a general rule, I just straight up don't
> like the platform because of this. The amount of unnecessary question
> reformats and edits for points is just painful to witness. The system
> itself has pretty funky issues as well - like flagging questions as
> duplicates but not providing links to those duplicates. Or where the
> OP directly posts links to duplicates but explicitly states the
> solutions don't work, only to have their question closed anyway... In
> any event, I think there's a lot of people like me that only end up
> there when Google/ DuckDuckGo takes us there... Which leads to the
> typical stack overflow issue of all code being horribly outdated and
> nothing actually works. Most of the snippets I find on SO are for QGIS
> 2 anyway. It's also not pyqgis specific.
>
> The mailing lists themselves I find have poor code discoverability,
> but I don't think a forum would resolve this and would likely
> just fragment the community further.
>
> For personal use, the best tool I've found for snippet management has
> been https://github.com/snibox/snibox but I don't know how well that
> scales. I used to use dokuwiki too, but it takes a lot of effort to
> format stuff and is more of a publication tool, but I don't see a
> quality wiki being maintained without significant effort.
>
> Your question has prompted me to set up
> [...]
Email Signature
Logo <https://www.geomaster.pt>
*Geomaster*
*Jorge Gustavo Rocha* | Software Engineer
*e:*jgr at geomaster.pt | *m:*+351 910 333 888
*g:*41.54094,-8.40490 | *v: *510 906 109
*a: * Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga