[Qgis-user] Increase the font resolution of WMS legend served from Geoserver to QGIS?

Thayer Young thayeray at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 08:47:52 PDT 2020

I have set up several queryable WMS on Geoserver, styled with SLD files designed in QGIS. The problem I have is that the text in the WMS legend that is displayed in the QGIS Layers panel and in print layouts is noticeably lower resolution than fonts for non-WMS layers. It is possible to get better resolution by formulating a request for the legend specifying the resolution in a URL, but how can I do that in QGIS?
My use case is making interactive choropleth maps of parcel data at the county scale.  The data are served by a cloud PostGIS server, and displayed in QGIS. Static maps and atlases are made using dynamic print layouts.
Transferring the entire parcel table for small scale maps is too slow, so I have looked into vector tiles and WMS. I have not been able to get vector tiles to work with the new Lutra Consulting functionality in QGIS because it does not seem to support tiles from Geoserver. I have been able to get it to work in javascript, but I am not a web developer and prefer to stay in QGIS and python.
WMS seems to have what I am looking for, since the user can query the data in QGIS using the identify tool. But the legend is the sticking point.
Any suggestions are appreciated?
-Thayer Young Cicada Systems GIS Consulting thayer.young at cicadagis.com