[Qgis-user] Mac ARM processors` /// bootcamp

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:02:02 PDT 2020

Hi,

Why I will probably go Linux on my Windows 7 laptop.  The desktop will probably need to stay on Windows because of the other stuff.  I don’t want a dual boot.

What disto would you consider that makes it easy for inexperienced Linux users. Seems like every time I installed Ubuntu, I ended up breaking it beyond repair...

Any GIS friendly distros to recommend?

Nicolas Cadieux
Ça va bien aller!

> Le 2 sept. 2020 à 10:47, chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> Nicolas Maria and list,
>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 07:31 Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not a big MAC user here.
>>
>> I expect the first machines will mostly focus on low power and long battery life and not on performance.  I would hesitate before going that route, at least in the first year. I think boot camp will be no longer be an option as this is just a drive partition with windows and that cannot work with ARM.  The option would be running Windows in a virtual machine and that I always a bad idea, imho.  I also wonder if QGIS will be available for those computers.  I expect it will take some time.
>

> I'm neither a Mac nor a Windows user.  Perhaps an upgrade to Linux is worth considering, especially with Lenovo joining the list of companies supplying Linux laptops.  Those Dell XPS running Linux are every bit as pretty and solid as an Air. For my part I will likely stick to System76.
>
> But I believe Microsoft released a Slate last fall running Windows 10 for ARM.  I gather the main interest at this point is double the battery life. Apparently the machine has been well reviewed.
>

>> Nicolas Cadieux
>> Ça va bien aller!

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Pondering a Mac upgrade - apparently they are working on pushing ARM processors. Instead of Intel.
>>>
>>> Would QGIS run on those?
>>> Apparently this development sends developers scrambling unless they already have apps running on iOS.
>>>
>>> Alternatively - any experience running QGIS via Mac's bootcamp - Window partition system?
>>>
>>> Ta
>>> Maria