[Qgis-user] Mac ARM processors` /// bootcamp

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 14:36:35 PDT 2020

Everyone on this hijacked thread...

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM Charles Dixon-Paver <charles at kartoza.com>
wrote:

> I would suggest in the future if you're asking a new question to start a
> new thread rather than replying to a post created for an unrelated topic.

Absolutely in agreement here Charles,

> Seeing as I'm already responding though I'll recommend using ubuntu based
> environments which are largely reskinned for ease of use (maybe zorin for
> windows users or elementary OS for mac). Linux Mint has always seemed to
> have a good response with new users as well. If you're totally against
> ubuntu based distributions you could try Manjaro, but considering the
> significant differences under the hood you're likely to encounter problems
> somewhere so you'll need to enjoy tinkering.\

I've been using Ubuntu since 2005 (the main distro) as my daily driver, and
I have never had any significant problems with it.  I don't have / need a
Windows machine nor a Mac. I hear people saying "I couldn't get it to work
for me" and I don't know what they might have done.  It's always seemed
super durable.  I forget when I started using QGIS on Ubuntu but it might
have been 2009-ish or shortly thereafter.

Said that, laptop hardware especially can be a bit freakish, especially
things like wired and wireless network controllers.  The best thing to do
is try a LiveCD (usually a LiveUSB these days).

The desktop idiom might put happy Windows users off though; it's a bit
Mac-ish, with a doc (vertical on left hand side in this case though
movable) and under the covers a set of modifications to GNOME3.  I hear
that Windows users tend to like Mint more, due to the way it appears more
like Windows.

You can run Windows in a virtual machine if you need to get access to stuff
like MS Office or Adobe products.  There is also a Windows compatibility
layer called Wine but it struggles to keep up with latest versions of
things.  Again, I don't need any of that stuff; I manage with LibreOffice
instead of MS Office and with GIMP and Inkscape instead of Adobe tools.

> distrowatch.com should have plenty information available for making an
> informed decision.
>
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 22:02, Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why I will probably go Linux on my Windows 7 laptop.  The desktop will
>> probably need to stay on Windows because of the other stuff.  I don’t want
>> a dual boot.
>>
>> What disto would you consider that makes it easy for inexperienced Linux
>> users. Seems like every time I installed Ubuntu, I ended up breaking it
>> beyond repair...
>>
>> Any GIS friendly distros to recommend?
>>
>> Nicolas Cadieux
>> Ça va bien aller!
>>
>> Le 2 sept. 2020 à 10:47, chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com> a
>> écrit :
>>

>> Nicolas Maria and list,
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 07:31 Nicolas Cadieux <njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not a big MAC user here.
>>>
>>> I expect the first machines will mostly focus on low power and long
>>> battery life and not on performance.  I would hesitate before going that
>>> route, at least in the first year. I think boot camp will be no longer be
>>> an option as this is just a drive partition with windows and that cannot
>>> work with ARM.  The option would be running Windows in a virtual machine
>>> and that I always a bad idea, imho.  I also wonder if QGIS will be
>>> available for those computers.  I expect it will take some time.
>>>

>> I'm neither a Mac nor a Windows user.  Perhaps an upgrade to Linux is
>> worth considering, especially with Lenovo joining the list of companies
>> supplying Linux laptops.  Those Dell XPS running Linux are every bit as
>> pretty and solid as an Air. For my part I will likely stick to System76.
>>
>> But I believe Microsoft released a Slate last fall running Windows 10 for
>> ARM.  I gather the main interest at this point is double the battery life.
>> Apparently the machine has been well reviewed.
>>

>>> Nicolas Cadieux
>>> Ça va bien aller!
>>>
>>> Le 2 sept. 2020 à 10:22, Maria Niermann (23153112) <
>>> 23153112 at student.uwa.edu.au> a écrit :
>>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Pondering a Mac upgrade - apparently they are working on pushing ARM
>>> processors. Instead of Intel.
>>>
>>> Would QGIS run on those?
>>> Apparently this development sends developers scrambling unless they
>>> already have apps running on iOS.
>>>
>>> Alternatively - any experience running QGIS via Mac's bootcamp - Window
>>> partition system?
>>>
>>> Ta
>>> Maria

Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.