[Qgis-user] MapInfo export issue

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 03:27:39 PST 2021

Hi Paul -

It's maybe not pertinent to case but I tried to export a Postgres-based
layer to both the MapInfo MIF and Tab file-formats and showing the
layers afterwards in QGIS - but using QGIS v. *3.22* on Windows 10. It
worked perfectly.

I checked the first part of the generated MIF text file. It looked fine
and contained all the necessary parts in the header : version info,
projection info and data structure info.

Regarding your MapInfo error when reading  MIF/MID: It is probably
caused by the MIF-file is missing  "Version 300" as the first line -
causing the MapInfo interpreter to look after it until it find the first
"Region"  definition in the file (MapInfo speak for polygon).  Why, I
don't know... But QGIS v. 3.16 is a strange beast.

Did you check if the projection was correctly set in the "Save features
as" dialog before exporting the data ?

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen