[Qgis-user] RAM and processing speed requirements for QGIS

John Layt j.layt at lparchaeology.com
Wed Apr 20 05:25:19 PDT 2022

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 19:46, Helena Farrell via Qgis-user <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello, I am seeking input on whether my 7 year old Mac with 8GB RAM and a
> 2.7gigahertz processor is likely to perform poorly at running QGIS. Since
> these are like the bare minimum in terms of power, and I assume QGIS is a
> data-heavy program, I may need to invest in a new computer. Anyone have
> advice on RAM and processing speed specifications  that I should look for
> and whether a PC be better than a Mac for running this program?
>
> Thank you!

We have a fleet of Macs up to 10 years old, and even the oldest are
(mostly) happy running QGIS, albeit a little slowly depending on the task.
Your 8GB will be more than enough unless you're doing very large datasets.
A big help will be to use an SSD, for our old iMacs we've plugged in
external SSDs via USB3 which makes a huge difference.

Cheers!

John.