[Qgis-user] Tectonic plate boundaries

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:53:54 PDT 2022

John and list,

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022, 09:38 John Moyle via Qgis-user <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi
> New to QGIS. I want to plot Victorian submarine telegraph cable
> interruptions under the Atlantic.  I know, what an Anorak!!
> I have found a brilliant rasterfile of the seabed from GEBCO to use as a
> base layer. I have also collected all the data of cable failure, submarine
> earthquakes and volcanoes and am ready to make vector layers of all the
> data.
> But what I can't find is a shapefile of the tectonic plates boundaries,
> just the boundary lines with no shading or text.

I believe you have a basic misunderstanding of the nature of data within a
GIS.

Generally the way QGIS (and most GIS) works is they "take" only data such
as points lines and polygons and then the user develops styling on those to
create the desire cartographic effect.

It would be most unusual to find shading or text in a shapefile.

Test in a shapefile is an attribute of some geometric feature. So line 377
might have an attribute that is "Mid Atlantic Ridge".

QGIS provides the ability to print the text attributes as labels, which can
be styled in many useful ways for visualization purposes.

Everything I do find is rejected by QGIS as not being in a suitable format.