[Qgis-user] Problem reading QGIS menus or tool tips in Ubuntu MATE

Herman Felderhof herman543 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:27:19 PDT 2022

Background: I have recently upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal), to
Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy). QGIS was upgraded at the same time to 3.22 LTR
Białowieża. I think I may have had 3.16 LTR Hannover before that but I'm
not certain.

The Problem: I can only read either the drop down menus in QGIS or the tool
tips, it doesn't matter if I choose a light to a dark theme in Ubuntu MATE
22.04. When I switch to a dark theme the menus are okay and I can read
them, they have light text on a dark background, but when I hover over an
icon the tool tips have light text on a light background and are therefore
illegible. The opposite problem occurs whenever I switch to a light theme.

What I have tried: Opening other applications to see if it's only QGIS, and
no other applications seem to have this problem. I have tried changing to
several different themes in Ubuntu MATE, opening and closing QGIS after
resetting the theme, rebooting, trying in a different computer, looking to
see if I can find any settings to fix the problem, upgrading QGIS from 3.22
LTR Białowieża to 3.26 Buenos Aires, searching web forums in case somebody
else has the same problem and a solution is already known.

My questions: Are there any settings available to users that I can use to
fix this problem? Or is this a bug and outside the scope of ordinary users
control?I am not afraid of using the command line or editing files if
necessary, especially if I have clear instructions.

Thanks for any help or even just comments.