[Qgis-user] Unable to open some LISTdata open data ESRI File Geodatabases

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Thu Dec 15 15:30:53 PST 2022

> *JOLLY, Peter*
> /Thu Dec 15 14:49:47 PST 2022/
> Maybe these are raster gdb datasets? How can I tell if that is the case?

It seems they contain raster as indicated in the metadata [1] and AFAIK
the GDAL File Geodatabase drivers are not capable of raster reading and
writing (ESRI File Geodatabase is a proprietary format).

> Is there any way the open a raster gdb other than with ESRI software?

You may be able to extract them using ArcRasterRescure [2]. It is the
result of an effort to reverse engineer the ESRI File Geodatabase raster
format.

> I can open gdb files in QGIS from LISTdata that are included as part of a set with shapefile and MapInfo tab files (e.g. in the "Tasmanian Irrigation Irrigation District" dataset). I'm guessing that is because these are vector gdb files?

Yes.

> I'm running QGIS 3.10.6 ltr on Windows 10 64-bit (yes I know it's not the latest ltr, but it was the most recent "portable" build I have been able to find and run successfully).

You can find more up to date QGIS portable versions at [3]. Just
download one of the archives, extract it in a folder and launch
qgis-grass.bat.

Best regards.

Andrea Giudiceandrea

[1]