[Qgis-user] QGIS Caching WFS?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 9 00:04:55 PST 2022

On 2/9/22 06:44, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> We have a WFS layer that QGIS v3 appears to be caching and I would like to disable this. The experience is, when we zoom in we don't get additional detail - since we limit the number of features to 20K.
>
> p.s. is this a common caching pattern/feature of QGIS that is not limited tow WFS alone?

Yes. QGIS is 'caching' features in a sqlite database. It's doing that because in WFS2 you can 'page' through your data, and QGIS will request data based on id's or bbox which are not there yet.

There are some options to make in de WFS provider dialog (connection part) that you can try:

1) make sure you 'force' version 2.0 AND 'enable feature paging', then QGIS will request the max allowed number of features, AND then start 'paging' to get more

2) earlier there was a button to only request features in current extent, but I think that is on now by default.
IF paging is not working then you should (if you zoom in to an area with < then 20K features) you should receive all features in that area.
WFS is NOT scale dependent off course, so not sure what you mean by 'addition detail' (maybe you mean additional 'features')?

3) are you using latest version? There has been some work in this area last versions.

4) can you share your wfs url? So others can try?

For what I know no other providers do this caching in the sqlite (though WMS caches images, see network settings where you can clean the cache, or make it small).

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde