[Qgis-user] Installing downloaded plugins (OSGeo4W install-download)

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Wed Feb 9 23:38:54 PST 2022

> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org&q=from:%22Mike+Breiding+%5C-+Morgantown+WV%22>Wed,
> 09 Feb 2022 15:57:13 -0800
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org&q=date:20220209>
>
> Greetings,
>
> After 15 hours of download/installing and 4 error messages the process
> is finished.
> There were 7 shortcuts installed on my desktop but I cannot find the
> executable to start the program.
> I also checked the install directory but cannot find a way to launch
> the program.
> What a waste of time and all because I missed theQGIS 3.22.3 warning
> about Win 7 incompatibility.

Hi Mike,
I suggested you to install QGIS 3.16 using the old installers (which are
suitable for Windows 7) and not the new ones (which are OK for Windows
10 only).
I've also sent you a screenshot of the QGIS Web site download page with
a red arrow to the exact link you need to follow in order to download
the correct QGIS 3.16 Standalone Installer for Windows 7 64 bit
(assuming you are using Windows 7 64 bit and not Windows 7 32 bit).

 From the screenshot you attached it seems to me the following issues
did occur:
- you did not follow my advice to download the OLD OSGeo4W QGIS 3.16
Standalone Installer which is only 300/400 MB so it usually doesn't need
15 hours to be downloaded

- you have downloaded and used the Network Installer (probably the new
one), instead

- you have tried to install a lot of not useful package as the pdb
packages (which are very huge) and a developer version of QGIS instead
of the regular 3.16 ltr version and probably a lot of other ones

- your hard disk has run out of space

So, please, don't lose heart and:
- remove and delete your previous QGIS installation and make room on
your hard disk in order to install QGIS

- download the "QGIS Standalone Installer Versione 3.16 (64 bit)"
(QGIS-OSGeo4W-3.16.16-1-Setup-x86_64.exe), or the "QGIS Standalone
Installer Versione 3.16 (32 bit)"
(QGIS-OSGeo4W-3.16.16-1-Setup-x86.exe), depending on your system, from
the QGIS Web site download page

- the installer is only 300/400 MB, it takes few minutes to be
downloaded, 4 click to start the install procedure, no packages to
select, and few minutes to install QGIS on your system

Regards.

Andrea