[Qgis-user] How to "Dissolve" selected and save result into original layer

Jeff Sonnentag jsonnentag at llenviroinc.com
Tue Feb 22 12:08:12 PST 2022

I have looked round some and experimented and haven't come up with a streamlined method (certainly not as streamlined as what was used in ArcGIS before) of selecting some features from a layer and then Dissolving those selected features and replacing them in that same layer.  (I find the need to do it quite often.)

I tried saving to file and selecting the same file name but that just ends up with the dissolved features and none of the rest of the features in the layer.

The closest I have come is to Dissolve to a temporary layer and then copy that dissolved feature in the temporary layer and paste it into the original layer, but you still have to select and delete all the original features that are being replaced with the dissolved version copied from the temporary layer.

Is there a way to directly Dissolve and get the result placed into the original layer (the dissolved result replacing the original features) or is that functional ability just not around?  (A good place for that option would be right in the same drop down list for the result location of where you want to save the results placed - such as "Into Original Layer".)