[Qgis-user] Offline background map for large regions

abru345 at gmx.de abru345 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 15 03:41:38 PDT 2022

Hi Asim,

I think postgres itself is not the problem at all, but the scripts that
move the vector tiles into the database. In the instructions for usage
of these import scripts is written that they need at least as much RAM
as the size of the vector file. So I assume it has to load the whole
file into memory before it can be processed. Using an SSD for swap may
be possible, but would increase processing time dramatically because
it's extremely slow compared to RAM.

My system can handle no more than 16 GB and currently I have 8 GB, so
processing a 20 GB file is not an option for me. But maybe I can split
up and import the countries separately.

Regards

Andreas