[Qgis-user] excessive threads?

Mike Stanton mfstanton at geospan.com
Sun Jul 31 09:11:15 PDT 2022

It all depends on the module you are running and whether it effectively uses the “-multi” option with “all_available_cores” and of course how many cores are available on your system.  Yes it will vary a lot depending on the nature of the processing and what stage it is in for that particular module.   Another consideration is the Processor model that is on your system and how many sockets you have active on it. Servers from the so called “Enterprise” class can support 2-4 processor sockets and those processor sockets can have up to 24 cores on them. A Dell R930 (a 4 socket Motherboard) can support are running with 96 cores per system with its current socket, the FC630s blades are capable of 40 cores per system.  The use of the “ALL_AVAILABLE_CORES” option will work on an as needed basis to add cores to the optimum for the workflow modules and the data characteristics being processed.  It gets down to understanding what is normal for your processor model, how much real memory you have, and the nature of the application and the data layout to avoid conflicts.