[Qgis-user] How to identify date of aerial images in ESRI Satellite and Google Satellite imagery

Tad Deshler tad.deshler at cohoenvironmental.com
Fri Jun 10 16:19:01 PDT 2022

I frequently use the aerial imagery provided by ESRI Satellite and Google Satellite, which I load to my projects using the XYZ Tiles folder in my Browser Panel. I'm using QGIS v. 3.14. A client recently asked me about the date of the imagery I was using for a figure I made. For the ESRI layer, I read that one can use the Identify tool within ArcGIS to pull up metadata that would include the date of the imagery for a specific point.

I tried this in QGIS, both for ESRI Satellite and Google Satellite layers, but the Identify tool is greyed out and inoperable for these two layers. This is the case for every project I have that includes these layers. The Identify tool works just fine for other layers in these projects.

Is QGIS unable to extract this info from these layers because it is proprietary? For example, it seems like you could find the info in the ESRI layer using ESRI software (ArcGIS). Is there a workaround that would allow me to find this info?

Tad Deshler

Coho Environmental LLC

206.778.9274

tad.deshler at cohoenvironmental.com<mailto:tad.deshler at cohoenvironmental.com>

cohoenvironmental.com

[cid:5c72530a-1924-4479-b9a5-58149a27fd48]