[Qgis-user] Dimensioning in QGIS

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 17:43:35 PDT 2022

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:00 AM David Strip via Qgis-user <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> To the extent that anyone is interested in a discussion of adding CAD-like
> dimensioning capabilities to Qgis:
>
> In a CAD model dimensional callouts present the user with information
> about lengths, angles, radii, and other metric properties. Dimension
> call-outs  in a CAD model (probably more accurately, a CAD drawing derived
> from a model) are annotations to the model, they are not model objects per
> se. In a well-designed system, the dimension call-out displays the actual
> metric value of identified length, radius, angle, etc. The dimension
> "object" is tied to the underlying geometric model and will change the
> presented value if the underlying object is changed (eg, scaled in size).
> In addition, if the underlying object moves with respect to other objects
> in the model, the dimension annotations move with it, maintaining a
> constant relationship, for example to the edge whose length we are
> dimensioning.

At the risk of stating the obvious, all of that can be done with labels in
QGIS. A simple line can be annotated with angle and distance, which are
dynamically updated when the line is modified. QGIS has the ability to move
labels relative to the object being labeled and supports "call outs" aka
"leader lines". Labels are not "model objects", in other words, labels are
saved in the QGIS project, not in the underlying data.

--
Richard W. Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com