[Qgis-user] how to simplify polygons without loosing too much information

Michael.Dodd michael.dodd at open.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 07:52:03 PDT 2022

I know there are various simplify tools in qgis but perhaps I don’t understand how to use them best. I want to simplify i.e. reduce the number of nodes in a polygon without changing the overall shape too much for country or similar outlines.  When I have tried this the simplify tends to chop off bits that a human doing a manual simplification would not, in some areas the simplification could loose loads of nodes whereas in other areas it needs to keep more of them or the overall shape will be greatly changed. Is there anyway round this or am I asking for something that is not logical?