[Qgis-user] Offering QGIS installers through Windows store

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Tue Nov 22 12:19:42 PST 2022

Hi,

With QGIS functionality and user base constantly growing, the required
maintenance also keeps increasing.
To keep our project budget sustainable, we (the PSC) are considering
investigating the possibility of offering a Windows installers for sale
through the Windows store in addition to the free installers from qgis.org.

This approach would follow the example of projects such as Krita
(https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/).
It would give our users an additional low-threshold way to support QGIS.
And - if I understand the Krita offering correctly - users will also get
automatic updates when new versions come out which is a nice service.

Of course, we will keep offering the free installers and using the store
would be completely optional.

If you have any experience offering software through the store, your
insights would be very much appreciated since we are still at the early
stages of exploring this option.

Regards,
Anita

--