[Qgis-user] Missing python plugin support on Win7

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 19:28:34 PST 2022

Windows 7 is not a currently supported operating system by Microsoft.
Support by other software vendors, whether they are the Qgis project
itself, or the vendors of external libraries used by Qgis (of which
there are many) is very limited and cannot be guaranteed long term. Bug
fixes are not backported to editions of the software that have been
listed as Windows 7 compatible.

Whilst users of older operating systems are currently able to access
archived versions of the software packages, the project file formats
change quite regularly and therefore the older versions will have
compatibility issues with projects produced on more recent versions of
the software. The same is to some extent true of the various component
file formats that can be attached into a project although changes to
these are less frequent. But if a new spatial format is introduced that
wasn't around when the Windows 7 software was developed, it is not going
to be backported since software editions for Windows 7 are not currently
being developed.

The availability of patches to enable newer versions to run on older OS
can't be guaranteed. It would be unwise to rely on the long term
availability of any type of support for Windows 7. If the current
versions of the software are compiled at 64 bit, they may not run on a
32 bit Windows 7 installation. Since MS has now introduced Windows 11,
the maximum level of support provided by many organisations will only
extend back to Windows 10.