[Qgis-user] large DEM not loading tiles correctly

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Wed Sep 28 05:23:00 PDT 2022

Perhaps you can consolidate small groups of tiles into single rasters.  Kirk SchmidtSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: "Michael.Dodd via Qgis-user" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> Date: 2022-09-28  1:32 p.m.  (GMT+01:00) To: "'qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org'" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> Subject: [Qgis-user] large DEM not loading tiles correctly

I am trying to put together the 50m uk DEM e.g.
https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/835cf20a-8feb-4394-8b30-dcfe840ac13d/os-terrain-50-dtm but it often does not work.  The data are supplied as thousands of small tiles that takes ages to unpack and put into a folder to get into qgis, however when you try
 to load the tiles some work and others don’t and even the ones that do work and display fine sometimes don’t merge to form large tiles and sometimes will form virtual rasters but not merged files.  Basically it is a mess.  I suspect others have done this successfully
 so any suggestions?
It is particularly odd that some of the tiles will merge and others won’t and that some won’t display if you ask it to load hundreds at a time but if you just add them in a few at a time then they will load and display (in addition to the
 hundreds already loaded). This suggests various bugs assuming the original data are not in a whole variety of slightly different formats (should all be .asc)