[Qgis-user] Open GPKG layers in read-only mode

Sebastian Gutwein bas at rdgland.com
Mon Apr 3 08:36:15 PDT 2023

Jérémie,
I went and looked at my notes from when I was testing this after QGIS
3.24.1 came out and I had misremembered. Two people can open it at the same
time without the sidecar files being created. We have not had any
problems using gpkgs to read data on google drive for desktop.
Editing is not recommended but we have also been doing that. We are able
edit the geopackages if we are sure only one person will be editing it at a
time. This is almost always the case for us because usually only one person
is working on a project at a time and projects don't share editable data.
Saving edits is a lot slower on the google drive folder for small files
this is not noticeable but for large files this can be painful. I have
noticed that the sidecar files balloon to the size of the original files
when saving when google drive is on which is probably causing the slowness.
If google drive syncing is paused this is not a problem.  The other thing I
noticed at the time of my original tests is that if there is more than one
layer in the geopackage after editing one of the layers and editing is
turned off the file does not remove the sidecar files. If there is only one
layer this is not a problem.
Hope that helps.

--
Sebastian "Bas* " Gutwein