[Qgis-user] Memory Layer Saver plugin temp layers not loading-resolved

Michael Dufty MDufty at mbsenvironmental.com.au
Thu Aug 3 22:17:39 PDT 2023

I have been having some issues with the memory layer saver plugin which I thought might be worth sharing.
I find the plugin extremely valuable, but we may be making ourselves too dependent on it because it works so well.
Recently the plugin was updated with a great new feature, it now saves the .mldata file containing all the memory layers within the .qgz file instead of as a sidecar file.
This seems to be the source of our issues with vanishing layers.  We have some users with the old version of the plugin and some with the new version.
If an old project is opened with the updated plugin, it successfully loads the old data from the external file and moves it to the internal file.
If subsequently opening the project, it reads from the internal file.  All good.
The issue is if someone opens a converted file with the older version of the plugin.   It will find the old external mldata file still there.  New layers added with the new version will be empty but old ones will still work.  Any new layers added with the old plugin will be added to the external mldata file.
If the file is then opened again with the new plugin, it seems to just use the internal mldata, and new layers added to the old file will be missing.

In short it all works great as long as all people using the file update to the new version plugin at the same time.
I have been able to recover lost layers by opening the qgz file with 7zip and overwriting the internal mldata file with the modified external one.  Can get messy if there are multiple edits in both versions though.

Were running in circles for a while as we though the issue was with new versions of qgis rather than the plugin.

Michael Dufty