[Qgis-user] Convert an ALOS PALSAR DEM from ellipsoidal to geoid.

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:42:25 PST 2023

Hi,

I looked at vdatum and could not find how to remove an ellipsoidal.
Apparently, this software can only translate from one ellipsoid to
another but cannot simply remove the ellipsoid. I would use Ujaval's
method as this will faster to figure out then what I originally did. You
can also get help from the gdal developers.

You may use the unavco page to get more information and to double check
your results.

https://www.unavco.org/software/geodetic-utilities/geoid-height-calculator/geoid-height-calculator.html

You may also look at the GPS H tool (online and pc version) from NRCAN.
You need to create a profile if you want to download the software.
Unfortunately, this tool only works with point data but the PC version
can read geoid files from Noaa.  I used that to double check my
results.  To remove an ellipsoid, use GPS H using the h=H+N mode using
an input height of 100.0m.

To test (with geoid model HT2_0), for a point situated at 50°N and 100°W
if a geoid  height or topographic height (H) of 100m, the ellipsoid (N)
will be at -23.434 meters and the height (h) above the ellipsoid at
76.566m.  I would first try to reproduce using HT2_0 that comes with GPS
H.  Then, use the EGM96 downloaded from NOAA.  Finally, test using to
top left pixel of your image.

Once you transform the image using gdalwarp, look at the value of your
top left pixel to see if it matches what you get from GPS H. Warning...
this software uses GRS80 Ellipsoid.  I think ALOS uses GRS80 but if it's
the WGS84 ellipsoid, you will see very small differences (probably
sub-millimeter.) I would not worry at this point.

Nicolas