[Qgis-user] The theory behind topology

Terry Morse tmorse at teleport.com
Tue Jan 10 20:36:52 PST 2023

Principles of Geographical Information Systems, by Burrough and McDonnell (Oxford: Oxford Univ. Pr., 1998; ISBN 0198233655) has a brief treatment of point-in-polygon on page 64 (box 3.4), or see Principles of Geographical Information Systems, 3rd ed., by Burrow, McDonnell, and Lloyd (Oxford: Oxford Univ. Pr. 2015; ISBN 0198742845), where it is Box 7.3 on page 140. It may not be as detailed as you want, but it's a beginning. Wikipedia has an article with a little more detail at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_in_polygon that includes references.

There are scripts at https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-check-if-a-given-point-lies-inside-a-polygon/ in both c++ and python.

Terry Morse
tmorse at teleport.com (mailto:tmorse at teleport.com)