[Qgis-user] Looking for application/server etc

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 10:40:19 PST 2023

Dennis and list;

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 8:45 AM Dennis Burgess via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> But looking to only display what is on the customer screen.  We should
> never get the 50 meg poly..
>
> <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> *Subject:* RE: Looking for application/server etc
>
> [stuff deleted]

> PostGIS with Geometry Index’s?!
>
> Set up Styles with Zoom Levels so as when zoomed in to 1:5000, that’s the
> only time you have full LOD
>

> [stuff deleted]
>
> <https://www.opw.ie/en/disclaimer/>

Dennis, do you mean your object of interest is a MULTIPOLYGON?  Because if
so, your bounding box, and therefore your spatial index, is going to bound
the entire polygon, and that's going to limit any kind of efficiency as you
zoom in.

You might consider splitting your MULTIPOLYGON into POLYGONs.  That way
each POLYGON will have its own bounding box and therefore your spatial
indexing scheme will have the chance to be more efficient.  But of course
you have to watch out for polygons like the Mississippi River.

This article might help
https://www.alibabacloud.com/blog/postgresql-how-to-optimize-spatial-index-based-query-performance-for-multipolygon-data_597324

I agree with Richard; PostGIS provides nice geometry indexing.  Probably
other database managers do as well.

I'm not certain that I follow what you are doing precisely, but one kind of
architecture would be to have your database within PostgreSQL / PostGIS,
being accessed by QGIS server and delivered to your clients that way.

The QGIS server guide is here
https://docs.qgis.org/3.22/en/docs/server_manual/index.html

The PostGIS manual is here https://postgis.net/documentation/

There are many, many resources available to learn PostGIS.  From personal
experience I know this is a good one
https://www.manning.com/books/postgis-in-action-third-edition

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.