[Qgis-user] Converting csv to shapefile issues

Jamie Gould jgould at longshore.ca
Wed Jul 26 12:28:20 PDT 2023

Good afternoon,

I'm currently using geoSCOUT at the company I'm working at.  One cannot export out any attributes with a layer or shapefile out of geoSCOUT and you cannot view an attribute table within geoSCOUT either.  There are a couple of tasks I'd like to do that it would be beneficial to have those attributes.  So, I have exported out a UWI list and imported into an analytics program we subscribe to called EVA, from here I can export out a csv of the UWI plus data.  I have brought this csv into QGIS and want to convert it to a shapefile.  The csv does not export out of EVA with Lat and Long columns, but does give SH Lat, SH Long, BH Lat, and BH Long.

I thought perhaps I could add a column to the csv file within QGIS and calculate a lat/long column, but the Toggle Editing Mode Button is greyed out.  So, then I thought maybe I could create one shapefile with the SH data, and another with the BH data, then merge the two shapefiles and perform a points to path if necessary.  When I right click on the csv file to export as an ESRI shapefile, the export fails, and I get the below message.
[cid:image001.png at 01D9BFB1.F647D680]

Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could go about this?

Thank you in advance,

Jamie Gould, C. Tech