[Qgis-user] consultation

Juan Pablo Moreno Sebastian jpablotop at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:42:57 PDT 2023

Good afternoon.

I'm Juan Pablo Moreno.

I have to develop a plugin for QGIS that calculates the orographic prominence of the hills and then goes on to classify the points.
I will now explain my idea more slowly.

1º The plugin must load an MDT.
2º Locate hills by analysis of each cell of the MDT and those of its surroundings. I locate a cell and if the surroundings are of lower level it will be a possible hill, the holes would be the other way around.
3º Calculation of the orographic prominence of each hill.

      Prominence:
      The prominence of a mountain is a notion used in orography for the classification of mountains. It is defined as the minimum slope that must be descended from the top of a mountain to ascend to a higher one. The more prominent a mountain is, the more it will stand out among those around it, regardless of its altitude.

                  Prominence = mountain altitude - altitude minimum point

      [cid:134c04d1-db0c-4fb6-becb-4ec2ae026d73]

To calculate the prominence, a program would have to be developed that did something similar to the following:

An analogy widely used to explain these relationships and, incidentally, to illustrate a possible procedure for detecting hills and hills, alludes to the myth of the universal flood. We imagine that the earth has been flooded under a thick blanket of water that covers it completely, without leaving a single piece of land emerged. After the end of the flood, the evaporation of water causes small islands to begin to emerge. The first to appear is the summit of Everest and the following, other summits of the Himalayas. As the sea level drops due to evaporation, the surface area occupied by each island increases and there comes a time when the level is low enough for the island to merge with another land mass through some isthmus that has been exposed.  The exact point at which the connection of two islands occurs coincides with a col and is associated with the summit of the lower altitude island to determine its prominence. The value is obtained from the difference in height between the hill and the associated hill, as can be seen from its definition.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you find the subject interesting or were so kind as to guide me a little?, tell me if it sounds like something or know something similar?, give me some advice on where or how to start?, or if you have another idea on the subject, I am very lost in python programming and everything would be very helpful,  I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much for everything.
Best regards.