[Qgis-user] Most foolproof method for installing on Windows 10?

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Thu Jun 22 23:11:17 PDT 2023

> Gert-Jan van der Weijden (GISNederland) gert-jan at gisnederland.nl
> Tue Jun 20 08:00:08 PDT 2023

> Over the past years my experience with the regular .msi (straight from
> https://www.qgis.org/nl/site/forusers/download.html) have been better
> than the OSGEO4W installer, for the same reasons ("DLL hell" ) you mention.

> Especially if you just need plan QGis, and not the side-tools like
> gdal/ogr , grass etc.

Hi Gert-Jan,
QGIS cannot work without the GDAL/OGR library.

The OSGeo4W *.msi installer installs all the needed libraries (like
GDAL/OGR, GEOS, PROJ, Qt, Python with some modules, ...) plus a lot of
not strictly needed tools and libraries which are however very useful
(like GRASS-GIS, SAGA-GIS for QGIS 3.28, various GDAL/OGR plugins and
various additional Python modules).

Using the OSGeo4W Network installer osgeo4w-setup.exe, the user can
install all the same packages installed by the .msi installer or only
the needed packages.

The *.msi installer is actually a stand-alone / all-in-one version of
the OSGeo4W Network installer.

Best regards.

Andrea