[Qgis-user] Geopackage slow on NAS if not read-only

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 13:32:46 PDT 2023

Árni and list,

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 12:31 PM Árni Geirsson via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello all QGIS and geopackage users.
> I store my geopackages on a Synology RackStation NAS unit, like all other
> documents that are kept on a shared drive in the office. For larger
> datasets, the rendering is very slow, unless I open the properties dialog
> for the file in Windows and check the read only box. After that, the
> features are rendered blazingly fast. Nothing else is changed to see the
> dramatic difference in the rendering speed. Luckily, I don't need to edit
> many of the larger datasets, such as road networks and elevation contours
> and the geopackage can be kept read only. Shapefiles are not affected.
> What explains this and does anyone know how to solve the problem?
> Do other users experience this?
>
> You might find this thread of interest.  It talks about performance tuning
Samba read / write shares.  As to whether it applies directly to your
situation of course I cannot say.

https://serverfault.com/questions/734124/samba-share-write-performance

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.