[Qgis-user] Geometry Error Detection

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Mon Mar 27 03:50:18 PDT 2023

Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice in relation to Geometry Error detection. We have a proprietary tool, which can validate geometries in line with OGC, which is flagging geometries as having holes outside of area. Indeed when I check the vertices I can see the issue, with the "Holes" sharing a node with the external geometry (at the edge, see image below). What I was hoping for was that we could show these same errors in QGIS.

[cid:image001.png at 01D960A2.4CD1B300]

I've used the following QGIS tools for validation of geometries with varying degrees of success, node directly flagging the issue detected.

Check Geometries Plugin:            Flags error in Geometry Type, but gives little by way of explination..

Topology Checker:                           Flags no errors

Check Validity                                    Flags no errors, with either QGIS or GEOS

Is there a way to check geometries, a tool, python, and another application, which can validate geometries? Or a series of tools which strung together in Model Builder could flag the issues?
Regards and thanks in advance,

Richard.

--
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
FRM Data Management

--
Oifig na nOibreacha Poibl?
Office of Public Works

Sr?id Jonathan Swift, Baile ?tha Troim, Co na M?, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
--
M +353 87 688 5964 T +353 46 942 2409
https://gov.ie/opw

--