[Qgis-user] Qchainage plugin

Tim Fearn mountainprana.map.works at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 12:08:22 PDT 2023

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to use the qchainage plugin to create ½ mile markers along a vector line that represents a trail.  The line is a single feature with no multi-parts or dangles.  It is about 318 miles long so I would expect right around 636 points if there is one every half mile.  My project default is set to miles for length measurements as is the qgis main preference.  I set the unit measurement to miles and input .5 as the interval.  I continually get 771 points instead of the expected 636.  Also when I use the automatic labeling feature of the plugin it appears to be in degrees not an aggregate mileage.

     Several weeks ago a fellow had queried the list on the same subject.  He was working with the Appalachian Trail I believe and wanted to place points at given distances.  No one seemed to really understand so I’m hoping that if anyone remembers the original poster, and has come up with any thoughts or other ideas it would be much appreciated.  This is something that can be done for sure.  All of the National Scenic Trail maps in this country are demarcated with some form of mile or half mile makers which when labeled show the accumulated distance.

     Hoping for some traction on this.  I’ve only just started learning python so I wouldn’t describe myself as a programer and am looking for a relatively simple solution.

With much gratitude,

Tim Fearn