[Qgis-user] Qchainage plugin

Stewart Holt stewartbholt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 12:56:58 PDT 2023

Tim,

Depending on how the GPS data was collected for the trail, your line shape
may be longer than the actual trail. Each GPS point has some error and if
the points were collected at one per second, the additional length caused
by points being off the centerline, could be significant. GPS height is
more noisy with error than the horizontal distance. That can contribute a
lot of extra length. I use a sub-meter GNSS unit and filter the points to
be no less than 10 feet apart. I add elevation from a USGS layer using the
QGIS drape function because that is more accurate than the GPS height. By
doing this, the 3D length is within about 1% as compared to a measuring
wheel.

I made the earlier post for work I do for the Appalachian Trail. What I
want is a way to calculate the 3D distance from one point to the next and
put the running total in the M value of each point. In my case, the layers
are in geo coordinates and would require the horizontal distance be
calculated with lat/lon. I read the descriptions of every plugin and
determined that nothing currently does what I wanted. I am a programmer but
have very little Python experience. I did get one response which was
helpful in writing plugins but have not yet pursued it. An example of a
plugin which takes a vector layer input, does something (or nothing) with
it and creates an output layer would be a good starting point. If I can
achieve what I want to do, what you need would be a simple change.

Stewart Holt
Georgia Appalachian Trail Club