[Qgis-user] Qchainage plugin

Tim Fearn mountainprana.map.works at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:26:40 PDT 2023

Hi Chris,
  This makes sense, thanks.  The trail is oriented predominantly North West and is 318 miles so a bit longer than km.  I’ll check out the article and try UTM Zone 10 I think and see how that goes.

Much appreciated!

Tim Fearn

Hi Tim,

EPSG4326 is geographic coordinates, not metres nor feet.  But we're not really interested in the projection of the project, we're interested in the projection of the data set that contains the trail.

The first thing I would try is to project your trail dataset into a relevant rectangular coordinate system.  You don't mention the orientation of your trail but 318 km is fairly long, so you need to be careful in your choice of projections.  For example, a UTM zone is about 360 km wide at the equator, so if your trail is aligned predominantly E-W you may experience some error due to distortion near the edges.  You might benefit by reviewing this Wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system>