[Qgis-user] How I solved my "Polygon" to "Mutipoligons" problem

Riccardo riccardopani at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 01:10:00 PDT 2023

Good morning,

Andrea asked me to describe to everyone how I solved the problem related to my first post regarding the association of more polygons to a single record.

So, I try to summarize all the steps that led me to solve the problem.

I had a reference shape file for a standard European delivery.

I had a polygon file with a record for every polygon.

I needed to associate more polygons to the same record.

I have matched more polygons to a same record with the Geometry tools/Collect Geometry function

I got a new shape file with more polygons associated to a same record.

According to the delivery instructions, I should have copied the shape file I just created into the standard one. When I did this, the graph lost the characteristic of associating more polygons to a single record.

The problem was that the shape file I created, had the “multipoligon” property while in those of the standard delivery there was the simple “polygon” property .

Based on what you told me, this property cannot be changed in a shape file already created.

What would have made more sense was to replace the standard shape file with file I created...it seemed not possible but in the last few days I have received some updates and then this substitution action was admitted, so I solved the problem.

Many thanks to all!

Riccardo