[Qgis-user] QGIS controlling access in QGIS

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Tue May 30 08:59:52 PDT 2023

Simon and list,

On Tue, May 30, 2023, 08:48 Simon via QGIS-User <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's me again, I just had some questions regarding the ability to control
> access in QGIS. First of all, is it even possible? Can an organization
> (like departments of the Canadian government) control who has access to
> which database or file? Can the IT department of that organization manage
> the access?

Access to files is controlled through operating system settings. Access to
databases is controlled by database settings. Normally in organizations
system administrators manage these settings.

Whatever software application is run is limited in its access by those
settings. It would be unusual for an end user software application to
further manage access.

Settings typically include ability to read, ability to write, ability
create and ability delete. So for example a set of shape files could be
shared as read only to users, to a group of users, or via access control
lists.

To your point - access to resources is not controlled through QGIS; it is
controlled by the operating system, and by the database server if one is
used.