[Qgis-user] How to download QGIS for MacOs Ventura 13.5.2

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Wed Nov 1 09:08:10 PDT 2023

Hello Isabel,

As a security measure Mac OS refuses to run downloaded programs unless
they are recognized ("signed") as an Apple product or an Apple
registered product.

However, if you trust the download source, you can tell Mac OS to accept
a downloaded program.

Hold the Control key down and click on the program - a menu will pop-up
in which you select "Open".
You will then be asked to confirm permission.

Alternatively, right after you tried to run the program and got the
"unable to open..." message you can use "System Preferences" and choose
"Security & Privacy" which may offer you an option to permit the program
it just refused to run.

You only have to do either once, thereafter Mac OS knows to trust that
specific program - but if you download an update you will again have to
authorize that new version.

The normal download sequence is
   1) download the .dmg,
   2) double click on the .dmg which should open a window showing the
QGIS app and an "Applications" folder
   3) drag QGIS to "Applications" - this will copy QGIS into your main
Applications folder
   4) control-click on QGIS in your Applications folder and chose "Open"
   5) give permission for it to be run
Thereafter you can treat it as any other trusted program...

Cordially,
Garth Fletcher